Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Melon Samalamig

Samalamig means  a refreshment with a lots of ice cubes to cool you off (in a  hot steamy Hagonoy weather)in Tagalog, hence the word lamig(means cold). This is one of the refreshment of my childhood.My classmates and I always buy this samalamig and a bag of kornik(fried corn with garlic)purchased at the side of the cemetery, oh yes! where the dead people rest.We munch that crispy salty ,spicy,garlicky snacks with a sip of samalamig  in a plastic bags with a straw on the way home and a lots of chitchat/gossips about school. My favorite sago at gulaman (tapioca pearls and unflavored seaweeds jello with a brown sugar syrup)that will be my next post as soon as I visit the nearest Asian store. If you don't have the melon scrapper, try  blender or a food processor (pulse it for a few seconds) but the melons turn to be  mushy to me using a blender then the samalamig turns to smoothie. Try it!















  • Simple syrup : boil a cup of sugar to 2 cups of water set aside to cool .

  • wash  melon with soapy water and dry with paper towel remove the seeds and scrape the flesh.

  • mix enough ice cold water about 3c. to the syrup and melons, adjust sweetness to your liking and enjoy! 
I sometimes just mix the melons with iced water and add splenda or equal as my sweetener. 









No comments: