Friday, December 11, 2009

HEALTHY MEAT LOAF

This is my recipe for a healthy meatlof, I hid all the veggies so my kiddos will eat them and it never fail me. They think they are eating  meat but guess what, its good for them. You could use any veggies fresh or frozen as long as not an over powering veggies like bitter melon (ampalaya)(duh!)I used lean ground turkey but a combo of meat will be ok too.The ketchup and bbq sauce together on top give it a little zing. This is like embotido but easier to prepare. I used a meatloaf seasoning but you could mix spices from your pantry  like parsley,oregano,garlic or onion or use fresh spices if available,enough for the talking,here is my  simple recipe.


1lb lean/lowfat ground meat(I used turkey)
2 whole eggs(for low fat use only the egg whites)
1c. rolled oatmeal (I used the old fashioned but you could use the instant too)
1c. low fat milk
2 stalk of celery,1/2 onion, a clove of garlic,1/2 c. frozen peas and carrots or any veggies you like sometimes I used zucchini too
1/2 package meat loaf seasoning (McCormick meatloaf seasoning)or just mix your seasoning like salt ,pepper choice of fresh or dried spices
ketchup and bbq sauce combined, some salt and pepper

1.preheat oven to 350
2.mix oats with milk
3.add spices,eggs,meat
4.put all veggies in a food processors and pulse until little pieces
5.add veggies with the meat mixture and mix until blended with a clean hands
6.spray meatloaf pan with oil, add the meatloaf and top with ketchup and bbq sauce and bake for an hour
7.after baking let it cool down for about 5 minutes before serving.

Kitchen tip: you could throw some potatoes  in the oven for baked potatoes just adjust the cooking time  to 1 1/2 hours. or longer.


No comments: